VRM in BC Links
KB Fairhurst / UBC / RDI / Visual Resource Management Training and Courses
In 2017, Ken Fairhurst provided a half-day BCTS VRM Training Session in Kamloops for about 20 BCTS field personnel.
He also presented to a day-long visual simulation session put on by the US Forest Service in Portland, OR that same year.
As Adjunct Professor in Forest Resources Management at UBC Faculty of Forestry, KBF conducted a GIS Visualization Lab for FRST 424 students in 2015.
Ken Fairhurst gave a session on VLM - Integrated Visual Design when he co-taught Forestry 491 with Dr. Stephen Sheppard in 2008.
Some early press coverage for K. B. Fairhurst - Sea-to-Sky Visual Landscape Inventory 2006 - the Pique
Essential Documentation and Guidance from the Government of British Columbia, Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRORD)
- Poster: A guide to Visual Quality Objectives (PDF)
- RDI - Visual Resource Management Terms in British Columbia Canada
- Looking Beyond the Trees - Visual Stewardship of the working forest - visual resources conference compendium - Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada, April 17 to 19, 2001
- Wind Energy Developments on Forested Landscapes - Visual Quality: the Public Response. Ministry of Forests, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations 2015. (PDF, 5.3MB)
Other Research and Visual Resource Management Publications
- Clearcutting and Visual Quality – A Public Perception Study (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Economic Benefits of Managing Forestry and Tourism at Nimmo Bay (PDF, 2.2MB)
- Predicting the Visual Impacts of Retention Cutting (PDF, 1.1MB)
- The Public Response to Harvest Practices in B.C. at the Landscape and Stand Level (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Visual Impacts of Partial Cutting: Summary Report (PDF, 1.4MB)
- Visually Effective Green-up in B.C. – A Public Perception Study (PDF, 3.7MB)
- Public Perception of Mountain Pine Beetle Attack: final report (PDF, 11MB)